Desktops User Guide
A Tehama Desktop is a shared or individual virtual desktop computer hosted in a Room. It is often referred to as a workspace. From a desktop, you can access the assets that have been configured in the encrypted secrets vault for the Room. All work performed using a desktop is audited.
All desktop configuration is done from the CONFIGURE tab for your room, under the DESKTOPS sidebar item.
Add New Desktop Configuration
To add a new desktop configuration, click on the ADD DESKTOP CONFIGURATION button or select Desktop under the ADD dropdown menu in the top right of the page.
This will display the ADD DESKTOP dialog:
In the ADD DESKTOP dialog:
- Enter a Desktop Name.
- In the Mode drop-down field, select
EITHER Shared, – which requires you to specify the number of people who will have access to the desktop, and provides room access that can be pooled/shared among all users in the access list field, one at a time,
OR Individual, – which gives each user room access (a workspace) that is uniquely available to them.
(See "Note on Shared Desktops" below.)
- In the Quantity field if you have chosen a Shared mode, enter the number of desktops that will be shared.
- In the Users field, enter the name(s) of those who will use this desktop.
- In the Specification field, choose one of the supported CPU and memory configurations for your virtual machine.
- If desired, enable the Always On checkbox. (If not enabled, the desktop will be suspended when it is not in use.)
Click Create. The new desktop will appear in the list of desktops on the page.
An individual desktop is accessed through a unique username for that desktop. The username is NOT unique to the individual. Multiple users who wish to access the same Windows Desktop will do so using a shared/common username. This will impose the following risks in the Windows environment:
- There is no user level local file space on the desktop. All files, application settings and personalization configured within the windows host will be accessible to ALL individuals who access that desktop. For Example:
- Application Specific Configuration, Including:
- Saved hosts/password settings entered into PuTTY or WinSCP
- Personal Details
- Browsing Data (Cookies, Cache, History)
- Saved usernames and passwords stored in the browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Chrome)
- Windows Personalizations
- Files added/created
- Application Specific Configuration, Including:
- No individual user logging/traceability. Windows log files will be unable to identify a specific individual logged into Windows when searching for a specific event. All user logs will appear from the shared username (unique to the Windows VM).
The Tehama platform DOES however offer the following individual user level features:
- File Vault. The Tehama file vault is associated to the current user logged into the Tehama Portal and is not tied to the Local Windows user. Any files stored in the File Vault can only be seen by the Owner.
- Session Recordings. Stored session recordings are stored and associated to an individual Tehama user. For ease of playback, the recordings are marked with the individual usernames
Edit Existing Desktop Configuration
To edit an existing desktop configuration, click on the name of the desktop configuration that you wish to edit.
This will display the CONFIGURE DESKTOP dialog:
Make your changes in the CONFIGURE DESKTOP dialog, then click SAVE.
Delete Existing Desktop Configuration
You can delete a desktop configuration by selecting the entry of the desktop configuration that you wish to delete and then choosing the trash can icon.
Add Additional Software to a Desktop
Members may require additional desktop software to perform their functions. If the desired software is not available in the default desktop configuration, you can send a request to the Tehama Concierge to add it to your catalogue.
From within the Room:
- Click CONFIGURE
- Click DESKTOPS
- Select the Desktop Applications item from the ADD drop-down menu in the top right corner of the page.
- This will take you to the Tehama Support Portal, where you can request your application.
- In your request, type the name of the application desired and any additional information on the software you are requesting, including:
- Software vendor
- Desired Configuration Options
- Submit your request.
Work with Desktops
The interface for accessing or manipulating a desktop is found in the WORK tab for your room, under the MY DESKTOPS sidebar item.
Connect to Desktop
Click on either the name of the desktop or on the CONNECT button in its entry.
This will display the ACCESS DESKTOP dialog:
From the ACCESS DESKTOP dialog:
- Open an instance of the Amazon Workspaces® Client app
Either launch the Amazon Workspaces® web client, or download the application to your host machine and open it from there.
- Note the Registration Code, the Username and the Password values in the dialog. Refresh if expired.
- Open the Amazon WorkSpaces® Client app.
- Ensure there is a green checkmark beside Network at the lower right corner of the Amazon WorkSpaces® Client app.
- Copy the registration code from the Tehama Window and paste it into the Amazon Workspaces® Client application as indicated.
- Click Register.
- Copy the Username and Password from the Tehama Window, and paste them into the Amazon Workspaces® Client as indicated.
- Click Sign In.
- If you are prompted with a Remember Me option, Click No.
- Your desktop may be restarting or rebooting. If so, wait a few minute and try again.
- For Windows users, if prompted to allow firewall access, click Allow Access.
The connection can take a minute to be fully established.
- Upon Launch, your desktop will begin initializing/starting, resulting after a brief delay in the Workspace-Agent window being displayed, maximized with the desktop running behind it. If the Workspace-Agent detects an update, it will be downloaded automatically and the Workspace-Agent will restart.
Request Creation of Custom Image and Specification of a Desktop
Read the Custom Specifications User Guide to learn what a custom specification is and how to prepare your desktop before requesting the creation of a custom image and specification.
Briefly, click on the custom-spec request icon in the desktop's entry.
This will display the CUSTOM SPECIFICATION dialog.
In the CUSTOM SPECIFICATION dialog:
- Enter a name, for example "Project ACME Custom Spec 1", and a description for your custom specification, then click on REQUEST.
- A popup will appear that lets you know your request is in progress.
It will take up to the end of the next business day for your custom specification to become available. You will be notified once it is ready for use.
Restart a Desktop
Click on the restart icon in the desktop's entry.
This will display the confirmation dialog.
If you wish to proceed with the restart (reboot) of your desktop, select OK. Otherwise select Cancel.
Note that the restart may take 5 - 10 minutes to complete.
View Desktop Status
You can see from the status icon in a desktop's entry whether the desktop is:
- in use:
- not in use: